Tuesday, December 2, 2008

My report for ANA

I chose to spend the eight Wednesdays I was given to focus on the theme and discipline of data visualization. While most kinds of data visualization practices deal with aggregate information obtained using using various data harvesting techniques, I was interested in seeing if coherent and cogent views on the world could generated from subjective experiences quantified as data, such as those collected by psychologists in quantitative studies of human behavior.

I had created a detailed plan for those eight weeks, which I documented on a website dedicated my residency. However, during the course of the eight weeks, several pressing projects came up, the most important of which was a paper that I had to present for the 5th Southeast Asian Cinemas Conference. Initially, I wasn't quite sure what to write for that paper, but because of the work I was doing for my residency, I decided to use data visualization as the central theme, which resulted in a proposal for creating a portal into Philippine independent cinema. The techniques I proposed for this portal can be easily extended to all kinds of film communities.

During my residency, I held three public discussions: one at the start to express my intended approach to the residency, one in the middle to discuss a particular application of data visualization to supporting initiatives to build international networks of choreographers, and one at the end to present my ASEACC paper.

I also held intense, 1-on-1 discussions with people from across disciplines (arts, social sciences, grassroots advocacy) who dropped by on those Wednesday evenings. We discussed possibilities for data visualization---the presentation of data as an aesthetic form---to support the work they were interested in.

Most of my findings and my output has been documented on the Wednesdays I'm in Love Open Platform blog. For a detailed look at myprocess and output, please refer to http://wednesdaysmnlove.blogspot.com/search/label/Diego%20Maranan


My thanks goes to Arts Network Asia and Green Papaya Art Projects.



No comments: